Thursday, January 14, 2010

I do Nothing


Last night I was at Benny's in Sacramento with Vaughn Solo, which is always amusing to me since I used to go to Benny's when I was 23 with Vaughn as well. It's amazing how time flies and how rooted in tradition we are. Every time I'm in Sacramento I end up at Benny's with Vaughn, it's kind of comforting that some things don't change.
Anyway
At the bar this somewhat intoxicated woman was asking me about my tattoos. I told her about them, showed her my new one. She settled herself down on the stool and proceeded to tell me about her life. Divorced, 4 kids, 9-5 job. Pretty typical for this day and age. She mentioned about how she shouldn't be out getting drunk because she has to work in the morning and how she wishes that she could get tattoos like mine but doesn't want her kids to see them. She asked me if I had to work in the morning and I replied no, she then asked me what I did . . .
I actually didn't know how to answer her
I work in the desert 2 months out of the year with the best damn people on the planet, I travel around California picking up work where it comes, I'm a damn good barista but I haven't done that in years, I get to see the people I love on a constant basis all over, I'm far from rich but I make it, I'm a writer and an artist,I get to call Lake Tahoe home for now and then somewhere else soon, I weld and make shit, I hug, I laugh, I live life to the fullest that I possibly can. That through all the ups and downs (there have been many) I have realized I live a blessed life.
I didn't know how that would come off to her, my life was so different from her reality. I dont have children and have no idea what it's like. I'm sure it's wonderful and an adventure all to it's own. But she was looking at me in a way that I can only imagine what she was thinking about someone like me who does what she wants with no ties, nothing to bind me to anything or anyone. No matter how much you love your children I'm told that freedom can be intoxicating.
So I look at her, shrug and say I do nothing . . .

No comments: